logo Re di Quaglie
Rooms - suites
Conference room

Hunting seasons
Hunters services

The territory
The country
The nature
The Danube
The thermal baths
Touristic tours

Horse Centre
Historical informations
The breed
The stable





italiano  english  deutsch  se


Just as the origins of the owner of the stable "Re di Quaglie", "Count Pietro Arvedi d'Emilei", the origins of his horses are no less noble and historic. All of his stock was bred from stallions descendent from thoroughbreds pertaining to the seven most important and renowned breeds in the world and the origins of each progenitor are listed below.

The breed came from a crossbred of Spanish horses, that gave rise to the noble horse, Pluto who arrived in Lipizza in 1772. He was born in 1765 and was reared in the stables of the Danish Royal Stud of Fredericksburg and was of Spanish origin.
The Fredericksburg castle, where Pluto was reared, was built between 1600 and 1620 by the Danish King Christian IV. It is situated north of Copenhagen on the island of Sjaellund in the city of Hillerod. This was the summer residence of the royal Danish family and until 1840 it was here that the kings of Denmark were crowned.

he horse Favory came to Lipizza in 1783 from the Old Imperial Austria Stud of Kladrub in Bohemia that was founded in 1578, two years before Lipizza.
Favory was born in 1779 and had a greyish brown colour. In 1893 Favory XI he was brought from Hungary to Lipizza to be crossbred.

The first Conversano that arrived in Lipizza from the kingdom of Naples in 1774 was born in 1767 and had a black coat.
The emperess Maria Teresa made her daughter Maria Carolina marry, at the age of 16, the king of Naples. The new queen brought with her an entourage of diplomats including Count Kaunitz. In 1774 he gave as a gift a magnificent black stallion to the Royal Court, this horse was called Conversano and he became a stallion for crossbreeding at the early age of seven. The International Federation of Lipizzaner, with its headquarters in Belgium,  assures that it was Conversano who introduced the black coat to stallions who had previously been almost exclusively grey.
It is assumed that the Conversano breed, given his professed origins from the kingdom of Naples, was a horse reared by the Acquaviva d'Aragona family, counts of Conversano. There are numerous references that confirm this hypothesis. Luca Pastore in the journal "Umanesimo della Pietra" stated that already by the end of the XV century Andrea Matteo Acquaviva d'Aragone, count of Conversano was cross breeding important stallions from the East and from Spain. Furthermore, he stated that in 1817 the Irish General Richard Church, sent by the Bourbons in Puglia, settled in Bari, had a race horse of Conversano breed in his stables. Alfonso Basile in the journal "Umanesimo della Pietra" in 1979, referring to the evolution of the Murge horse, stated that in 1774, the emperor of Austria purchased two stallions from the Count of Conversano that formed part of the best families of the Conversano Lipizzaner  breed.

The horse Maestoso was born in Spain in 1773 and was transferred from the Royal Stud of Kladrub to Lipizza in 1783 at the age of ten. Unfortunately the breed died out in Lipizza in 1837. Maestoso X that was born in 1819 was transferred from Mezohegyes in Hungary to Lipizza to re-establish the Maestoso breed.

In 1785 Lipizza received three stallions. These horses came from the Kingdom of Naples. Many noble families in the Kingdom reared prestige horses. Professor Giuseppe Maria Fraddosio in his book, "Horses of the South " states that some of the renowned families at the time were the Counts Acquaviva d'Aragona, counts of Conversano and the Caracciolo Dukes of Martina.

Darley Arabian, Byerly Turk, Godolphin Barb, these are the progenitors of the Arab horses.
There were various crosses with Arab horses but only one was successful. It was with the Arab stallion imported by Prince Schwarzenberg, Siglavy. He was born in 1810 and arrived in Lipizza in 1816. This horse was of small stature and created quit a buzz in the stables that had been until this time used to Spanish horses of much larger stature. This horse, however, became the founder of Siglavy breed.

The Hungarian family Jankovics owned Ureglak in the county of Somogy. They also had the Teresovacz stud farm in Croatia/Slovenia. The family bred and crossbred Lipizzaner horses of Spanish origin with horses purchased directly from Lipizza. Hence are the origins of the Tulipan. Despite this, no Tulipan stallion was found in the Hungarian Lipizza stud farms. Only in the summer 1969, a black stallion, born from a Caprice was brought to the stables of Szilvasvarad, that was later known as the home of the Tulipan horse.

Per info (info) Tel/Fax+ 39 045 7550074 Tel (RS) +381 25 862350 (RS) Cell +381 64 2481896
E-mail: info@rediquaglie.com - rdq@sowireless.org